First Day in Studio - A Poem by MIRA artist. 1 week - Martignano

This poem by one of the MIRA's Artists this year: writer poet, Elvira Cordileone from the USA is hanging in the hallway of our large studios:

my first thoughts after reading this:  I am with great company...



the first of my drawings  M i r a a a


Paola, the programme director has asked me if I would be interested in meeting an elder of the village who is a poet and his wife.  She thought I would have a good connection with him.  I of course said YES... maybe even do a collaboration I replied and Paola just smiled and said she thought this would be a great idea!!

 now to work.. and i will post more on the poet - the painter

the studio: photo doesn't give it justice so big and excellant light


Started by unpacking art supplies purchased in Lecce yesterday.  Love Lecce.  A stunning city, friendly, vibrant and buzzing and easy to get lost in the old section.  I'll be posting photos of Lecce later.
Looking at our map and around the corner a woman tall and thin, bumped into me, she offers to help with directions.  I immediately hear her NZ accent.  Her name Victoria, an artist living in Lecce for the past year,  she hasn't been back to NZ  for a very long time she mentions.  This was an amazing flash encounter and we hope to follow up in the coming weeks, as  Martignano is only11 miles away and we have a driver who will take us on a moments notice! 

Pleased I have two large work tables, as the other artists opted for easels.  One table is designated for my ink drawings, and studio journaling and the other for mixing tubs of turbs and oils... I will be working on the floor and along the three long stretches of solid walls!  Plenty of light and great circulation.

Started with ink washes and gessoed small wooden pieces that came with the stretched canvas I purchased.  They will become a narrative of colour... a new and intimate approach I'm looking forward to... already did a few drafts...

working with the idea of paint narratives or ink narratives both on paper and on wood -  sculptural painting pieces are returning .  here are some first attempts..

feeling a close association with Blues .. a colour i haven't used is ages


 

4inch wood stripes now gessoed

a draft - wood pieces with ink

ink washes on paper  
 
ink on wood - narratives  ... and getting excited



Comments

Deb H said…
Oh i am the first to comment :-)...rather a musing of all that you have reflected , i could hear the bells and smell the coffee and taste the melon and the grapes i can smell the land and see the old men...they always brought a stability ...a constancy ..a reminder to take it easy :-) ...having lived there for years i recognise your sensory perceptions and will sleep tonight with Italia on my mind and no doubt in my dreams...loved reading of your journey my dear friend and cant wait for the next instalment..:-) go well