Flight leaving Oceania



Departure saying goodbye to island home for three months.


After 35 hours of travelling I am here in Martignano.  Having left Waiheke with a stunning ferry ride behind me... leaving my island home as it faded away.  Flight to Hong Kong was 13 hours, then a four hour layover, connecting to a 12 hour flight to Rome, there again a four hour layover for a shuttle flight to Brindisi, where I am met by Rosario my driver who doesn't speak english. I know him by feel, as his flyer with my name wasn't showing as I passed.  I had to stop and retrace my steps in the crowd and went up to someone and asked ' Roasario?'   Si!!.....

we drove another 40 minutes in the heat, with all the windows down still no relief, imagining myself now really here, a foreign place with very little Italian to help me,  I count again the number of hours I have been travelling.  32 33 34 hours to Martignano.

Some village shots: here a few steps around the mend outside the Mira House... many lovely visuals and textures to take in straight away!   I am walking these streets when everyone else isn't...

Interesting, little Martignano,  keeps unfolding its magic, against first impression.  This is a sleepy gentle village with parts stunningly preserved and other parts less so.  Some sections, are buildings abandoned or left to fall apart. Yet all here feels safe.  The doors are often left unlocked day and night.

Between 1pm and 5pm shops are closed every day.  No sign as life takes place inside these walls and passed these doorways.. and after these hours it's a busy place again.  Many older folks riding bicycles or sitting outside their entrances together.  I really like the way of the bicycle here.. everyone uses them!

We artist have a bike each too.


Typical detail motifs abound in this village..ornate and the pride of this small place
One of the three Palazzos just down the lane from where I am staying

Ok now i am getting excited...  seeing the colors of this town against the ceiling of pure light blue skies.  love the rust red browns and sudden green... I Will give this a go...  my next gouch sketch








Comments