Saturday Movements Town & Studio

my daughter tells me to get the focus right on some photos of the ink narratives... so I took another

this is a particular favorite from the 1st series....
ink on wood
It's Saturday:
need to go into the village for provisions for the weekend, shops will be open until 1pm today and I believe closed until Monday morning!


On my bike to the most friendly vender: Solo Non Fruttas.  I don't know his name, yet. A recent delivery of capsicums and tiny hot chiles on display.  I couldn't resist so took the photo.  My bike and basket fully loaded with melons, milk, peanuts, plum tomatoes, fresh eggs - a tricky preposition!  On the way home this colorful procession - a wedding party.

I notice the father's face is soft and kind, his eyes cast downwards in a manner that tells all this is his special day too.   

I hesitate to photograph not wanting to invade in any way.  But I go ahead and take these snaps saying to myself it would be ok....? 

We all pause... the villagers stop what they are doing, shop keepers come out,  and the gentle men of the corners stand up from their sidewalk benches to pay their respects as the wedding party passes - only a block to go - to the church.

Reflecting on 'chance'  I pedal homeward, and pass a car parked with doors wide open inside a casket with a few fresh stems of resting gladiolas on top.  I cannot recall the colour.   There have been four funerals this past week.  In a small village like this you notice these events, and this explains the very many soundings of church bells all week.

Not long...  and I am in the studio to begin, resuming work on the ink narratives on wood and paper.   This scale excites.  Gets the creative flow going; a sense of comfort doing these intimate pieces in color.  Exploring a range of mediums: ink, gouache, water, paper, wood and allowing the flow.   There in, an other kind of  'chance' in these tiny pieces ... 

... reflecting on this morning's events, observing the contrasts of Time, and in a flash moment, of a young bride's life - looking forward, against a moment standing at the corner, a visitor and a painter from New Zealand.  What does it mean when we pay witness to each other's lives?  The flow of beginnings and endings, of blacks and whites and the colour of the in-between.

Pleased to see her smile in my direction as I took the photo of her walking past...

here are today's narratives:

  

this I am pleased with!









Comments