circular flow . curves . wine . music in our courtyard

Ok. it's a friday evening and lots of sunlight at 6:30. We are all in the courtyard with our computers and sharing music lists from our itunes.  We are also sharing a large bottle of Tavernello - excellant red, inexpensive.  My daughter would really enjoy sharing this kinda of evening, as I am sharing her list of favourites she gave me before I left for Italy.  It was a circular kind of evening bantering back and forth ... taking turns.... 

Music mixture of African, Caribbean, Adele, Duffy and sounds of Pavor Stelar.  Sipping reds, reading blogs, novels, and emails, each at our own taverna-style tables working away, and the occasional wave to the lovely elder across the road, who brings her chair out every evening to listen to both the street sounds and the t.v channel she's just tuned into.  At my table is a gorgeous visitor. iridescent green and shine:  these are my colours; they keep following me...

then a lovely surprise meeting again with Alessandro.  He wanted to say goodbye and share his latest works from his two months here.  We were keen to see what he was up to. he's created three large heads with features of deep sleep and tranquility in the eyes and expressions, closed.   Then he shares more images of his commissioned sculptures from his Galleriest in Rome.  Extraordinary really. I'm inspired.  From what i saw i wanted to see more...  He leaves for Rome tomorrow and his studio in Carrera just north.  

these are just amazing... his angels!


this weekend has flown. it's now Sunday and I haven't been in the studio in two days!! 
Went to Lecce yesterday.  Started out early. The day poised mostly with looking upwards along the narrow corridors of this amazing city... so much to see from that vantage point..

Somehow I manage to navigate to the three destinations I had hoped for, which is amazing since I had very little sense of direction.  The first is that I got to Lecce at all given the ambiguity of where the bus-stop in the village is exactly and once finding the bus stop, whether it was at the correct stop for the direction of Lecce?   This promises to be an adventure. 

 As it turns out I am not at the correct stop at all.  How many can there be in this sweet town?   So running across the street as the bus suddenly appears,  I wave and the driver waves back. He must have forgiven me or knew me as new in town.  He decided to stop.  I could see his lips moving along with a hand gesture, vieni, affrettatevi!  I am sure under his breath, 'come along'  and 'hurry up!'.   Now on the bus for the 35 minute ride and ready to spot my getting off point into the old district. I was given exact instructions where the bus would go from the folks back at the residency.  BUT, no!  Again a frustrated bus driver is trying to tell me he does not stop here.. 'no'!   So, it's another 8 long blocks of nowhere until I finally get off... and to my surprise as I step off the bus, I'm only a block from one of four main entrances into the old district. 
A totally new entry I am given I follow the narrow, continuous curves of stone pavings which lead into narrower other roads, chiseled between bikes and slow moving cars. 
.  
 Guessing each turn deeper into the labyrinth, and about 25 minutes later I find Belle Arti de Caiulo Salvatore shop. Spending a good hour selecting and filling my pouch with delicious high grade oils and include a choice of Umber Brown indian ink. Thinking to myself  'browns . rosa . white'.  OHH another title to a future work or series!!  EVEN THE WORDS HAVE A poetic SOUND  TOGETHER
amazing selections to be made
powder pigments
here place your order to be weighed
   onto the next stop, a champagne break,  two glasses of Prosecco.  I'm celebrating my navigational skills.  Next, I think a bookstore for cheap reading glasses.  I find a pair for 10 euros, so I buy two.  From there strolling and looking upwards, I end up in front of the great open Piazza S. Oronzo, where there is music, I will guess, Tunisia street vendors,  a wedding couple being photographed,  classic cars on display, (claude's kinda of distractions) police sounding their whistles at random trills, not sure why exactly, families everywhere, elegant women on bikes, teenagers hang'n together, and a huge circular food stall in the centre of the piazza. To my delight, under white billowing canopies above the crowds I sample an array of goodies on display.  I didn't bring my camera knowing I would have a heavy load homeward. Another hour of wandering this great city, I decided on my last quick stop.  An expresso.

A voice in my head,  'get to the bustop early' alarms me.  I was told exactly where to get the bus to return, but this time I am feeling nervous.  I quickly start out in advance of the scheduled 2:30 bus for Martignano.  At the stop all my goods leaning, I ask a number of strangers: e questa la fermata dell'autobus per martigano?  No one seems to know.  Then a pack of high-school boys arrive, and in english assure me yes, this is the stop.  'bus come at 2:30, yes'.   I am happy!  

the martignano bus arrives at 2:08... the bus driver good look'n but intense and on a mission of "HURRY"
Be warned.. get to the bus stop much earlier than you think!! This was the last bus of the day. I am learning the lay of the land.

monday...
a few more ink narratives .  thunder. no rain . studio day


 




Comments